Tuesday, August 31, 2010

So long Kansas..Hello California!

It really was so surreal packing up and moving, even as we were packing the moving truck and leaving it still didn't feel real. I couldn't believe that we were finally leaving! Don't get me wrong there were some really great things about Kansas. It is where two of my kids were born and we had some really amazing growing experiences out there. We met some really awesome people that we will always be friends with. But it just wasn't the place that I wanted to stay. It was too far from most of our family, plus it is too small, I hate having to drive long distances to do anything, and the weather stinks! It never felt like the place we should end up.

So Monday the 9th we packed the house and drove that night to Tipton to stay the night. The next day we drove 7 hrs.to Denver, which in a lot of ways was the hardest day even though it was the shortest driving distance, because I had to drive the girls by myself and Kevin drove the truck and towed the car Poor guy it was his birthday too, but he was a trooper. The girls were really good except about a two hour period that Jane screamed. So i was a little worried about the next few days because there was going to be a lot more driving. But thankfully we picked up my Mom and brother Joe in Denver so that we could have help. The next day was one of the hardest because we were staying together and the truck could only make it up to about 60, so there were times when I felt like we were just crawling along. But seriously the girls could not have been better that day. It ended up taking us about 13 hours when it would have been like 8 hours. The good thing was we made it to Utah that day and stayed that night and the whole next day so that the girls didn't go too crazy. They were so happy to have a day to spend with their cousins, and it was so nice to not have to drive hat day. The next day Kevin and Joe left about three hours before we did and actually made it there before we did. We decided not to drive together because we were both slowing each other down. So it all worked out. There was a really bad traffic jam about 100 miles before we got there, that really was hard because we were so close. When we got here we were so relieved! We are so excited to be here and see what the future has in store for us!

I didn't get many pictures on the trip but this is what happens when you give a baby a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without any supervision. It was the first day when it was just me and the girls in the van and there was nothing I could do but just watch. After that first day of crying Jane barely cried at all the rest of the trip, she was sooo good, poor baby all strapped in.

The cousins playing together. One day was way too short, but we are glad that we did take that day. It was so fun plus it is always so fun to see my sisters.

Nellie and Max had to sleep with each other. They were so excited to see each other and play together. The first two days driving Nellie was AMAZING! She even said "Mom, I didn't say HUNGRY!!!, one time!" It is a joke house because Nellie gets a little crazy sometimes and will just yell HUNGRY! for no particular reason, in fact a good portion of the time she will have just not eaten her dinner and then she will yell that. It is funny, although when she is doing it I want to lose it. The third day of driving Nellie was not good she threw quite a few fits, but hey two out of three isn't bad.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Wow what a long drive! I don't know how you did it! I love Janes face with the jelly all over it, so cute :) She is getting so dang big! She really isn't going to remember me! I'm glad you guys made it safe though and I'm sure you are loving the nice weather and the closeness of grocery stores, movies etc :) Miss you guys!

Joy :) said...

I'm so glad you guys had a safe trip and everything went well! That is a great picture of Jane with jelly all over her face. Happy unpacking! :) Miss you!