Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Ice Storm

This is our third winter here in Kansas, so I guess I should feel lucky that this is our first ice storm. I didn't really know what an ice storm was, but now I sure do. All night Monday night it rained, but it was cold enough that it turned to ice once it hit the ground, so we woke up to almost an inch of ice covering everything! I also didn't realize how dangerous ice on everything is, but it brought an awful lot of trees down on power lines. Almost everyone around us lost power for at least a couple of hours or more, but we were so lucky we only lost it for about 5 minutes. Kevin had to make a trip down to the school to deliver a generator, so I was worried about having him out on those roads, but everything was just fine. We stayed home and worried every time our power flickered which it did all day. We are just glad that the ice started melting and everything turned out okay.

This is our phone line, it was sagging to about 4 ft. off the ground

It was so scary when you were outside and the wind started to blow just a little it sounded like ice cracking. I just kept waiting for those big trees to come down, but luckily they didn't

these pictures don't even do justice to how bad everything was. It was crazy driving around town it looked like everything was coated in silver, it actually was very pretty, but very scary.

4 comments:

kris said...

Brrr... It looks cold! Luckily our storm wasn't that bad here. I am glad you guys are okay.

kris said...

Brrr... It looks cold! Luckily our storm wasn't that bad here. I am glad you guys are okay.

kris said...

Sorry i posted twice- and now a third

Chanelle said...

That's crazy! I've never heard of that before. Glad you guys survived!