Saturday, December 8, 2007

Oh Christmas Tree!

Well the tradition of putting up a tree wasn't quite what I had hoped for. We wanted to go and get a tree for family night but we didn't have time to go to a tree farm so we thought there must be a tree lot here in town...uh no. the only place was the local grocery store and they had about 10 of the saddest looking trees you ever did see just leaning up against the storefront. We found the skinniest one we could find (seeing as though we didn't even have anywhere we could put it in our teeny tiny house). We took it home and Kevin sawed off the bottom and the top so it would fit and we took it inside to decorate. Only to discover that we really had NO place to put it. We ended up sliding our couches down as far as we could into our dining area and that gave us about three feet to squeeze our tree in, (we are now officially packed in like sardines in this house). Then I discovered that the lights didn't work. So I made a quick trip to Walmart (Yay I have a store close by!) By the time I got back and got the lights on it was past 8:00 and the girls were so grumpy and ready for bed that they didn't even have that much fun decorating. It was one of those things that I had built up in my head that didn't turn out so it was extra disappointing.

Lizzy was very entertained with watching Kevin cut off the stump.



Lizzy ended up putting about 9 or 10 ornaments on the same two branches, they were touching the ground by the end.


Nellie just wanted to eat the ornaments. What a shocker.


See what a tight squeeze it is. It actually is a very skinny tree, there is just that little of room.


What is it about boxes that kids love so much?Nellie found a new way to watch T.V.


Other than the treee incident we have had a lot of fun with the girls with Christmas activities. Lizzy and I made a countdown chain or rather I made one and Lizzy cut up paper. We have had fun dancing to Christmas music and watching Christmas movies and making Christmas goodies. It has been so much fun this year because Lizzy has gotten old enough that she really understands and looks forward to things. She absolutely loves to sing Christmas songs and do anything related to Christmas.

3 comments:

Ladysam said...

Binny, your tree looks LOVERLY! I have always laughed at real "Kansas" trees. When I was growing up, we used to go into the mountain and get our own trees, and they were glorious! Here they mostly look like shrubs. LOL! Your tree is so pretty! I miss having a real tree.

I am glad that you are starting some of your own traditions. It isnt always postcard but you will remember the good about it and not so much the bad. I love Christmas, it is so much more fun with kidlets!!

kris said...

aww, Binny the tree turned out really cute. Even if it is skinny, kids don't care about those things! I am really excited to see you guys in just a couple weeks. I can't wait to see Lizzie and Nellie!

Emily Brimhall said...

that tree is adorable. Hey, atleast you got a real one, even if its a tight squeeze. Mine's artificial and I really miss the pine smell.