Thursday, June 19, 2014

Dennis the Menace Park

The week after we got out of school the Muhlesteins came to visit, and thank goodness. Summer started a bit rocky for me and I was glad we had company to help keep the crazy children of mine entertained. We decided that it would be fun to take a trip to the coast and go down to Monterey and also to Santa Cruz. I was really excited because I had never been to Monterey before and I had always wanted to go there. We tried to leave pretty early so that we could get down there by lunch time and eat and then go to the Aquarium. The trip down was a bit longer than we expected with so many people traveling we had to take two stops on our 3 and a half hour journey. But we eventually did make it there and by lunch time. One of my friends that goes to Monterey quite a bit told me that if we had time we had to take the kids to the Dennis the Menace park. We decided the best option was to eat lunch there and then head to the Aquarium since it was also on the way.

It is always crazy heading to the coast because it is so cold! We just aren't used to that kind of weather. Although it did warm up and ended up being just lovely. The park was really neat and not really like any other parks I have been to. There was a bunch of different types of things for the kids to play on.

Miss Lady had to chase the birds while she ate her sandwich. She really wanted to get them!

Annie loves her Grandpa. She lets him hold her all the time.

Jane almost immediately made a little friend and they played the whole time we were there. I felt kind of bad because she was feeling a little left out because her sisters had cousins their age to play with and she didn't have anyone.

Russy went through a very timid phase where he was scared of things and wouldn't do them, like slides, but he is over that now and he had such a good time going down the slide, and this was a seriously crazy slide but he loved it.

The big girls and their cousins had such a good time hanging out together. Lizzy and Jake were really inseperable this trip. And Nellie and Matthew had never really played much together before and ended up having a grand time together.

All the cousins together.

Daddy and the two little monkeys. Although I try and call Russy a monkey and every time I do he says "I not a monkey I'm a bear!!" That is my nickname for him, I call him my Russy bear or brother bear or Sonny Bear or Blond bear or Honey bear. Yes I know I probably go a little overboard with the nicknames. But he is my Bear.

It has been really nice having my parents nearby becuase my kids love them, Annie just loves Grandma and will always go right to her.

Nellie was enjoying trying out the rock wall. She did really well too.

Its weird sometimes to think of things that you enjoyed as a kid and think that your kids have no idea what they are. I loved Dennis the Menace growing up but they kids were like "who is this a statue of?"

Monterey is very different then I was imagining it to be.I thought that since it was close to Santa Cruz that it was like it, with all of the beautliful redwood trees, but it is comepletely different. There are a bunch of these cypress trees that I dont find to be very beautiful, but maybe they just need to grow on me. I did love this shot of the harbor.

 

No comments: